Counseling for Anxiety
Is anxiety taking over your life? Does it feel like you can’t control it no matter how hard you try? Anxiety can be described as a heightened state of awareness where your body and mind are trying to prepare and protect you from perceived threats. There are many different types of anxiety, including generalized anxiety, social anxiety, and panic. Anxiety is a component of many different types of mental health conditions but the underlying symptoms remain similar.
Some common symptoms of anxiety are:
- Nervousness, restlessness or being tense
- Feelings of danger, panic or dread
- Rapid breathing or hyperventilation
- Increased or heavy sweating
- Trembling or muscle twitching
- Weakness or lethargy
- Difficulty focusing or thinking clearly about anything other than the thing you’re worried about
- Obsessions or ruminating thoughts
- Anxiety surrounding a particular life event or experience
- Avoidance of a potentially triggering event or situation
Therapy can help to uncover the underlying causes of your worries and fears, learn how to relax, look at situations in a new, less frightening way, and develop better coping mechanisms. I use a mindfulness and cognitive behavior approach to help you achieve this.
If you suffer from an anxiety, I invite you to contact me today for a free consultation.